Michigan has made it a point to showcase their wonderful local marine life in several different aquariums throughout the state. The Sea Life Aquarium located in Auburn Hills is the largest in Michigan with aquatic tunnels for you to walk through while viewing hundreds of different species. There are many activities and things to do all throughout Michigan, but make it a point to spend a day with your family learning about marine life and what it means to the state of Michigan.
Guide to visiting Aquariums in Michigan
There are always a few things you want to prepare for before visiting an attraction.
- Getting There – Check out the Michigan aquarium’s website to see if they have parking or if you need to take public transportation.
- Best Time To Go – Most aquariums self guided tours range from 1-3 hours. Mornings are usually the best time to visit as there will be smaller crowds.
- Tickets – Most Michigan aquariums offer online tickets, but you can also find deals at local shops so do a little research before going.
- Exhibits and Demonstrations – See what times the live demonstrations are so you don’t miss out. Some exhibits also feature feeding the animals (mornings and nights)
- Food – You may need to pack a lunch if the aquarium doesn’t have a restaurant or deli.
Below we will cover the state of Michigan and all the best aquariums you can visit. Auburn Hills is by far the most popular with their Sea Life facility. Grand Rapids has a small aquatic center within their zoo. Detroit is the third option with a very historic aquarium center.
Aquariums near Detroit
While visiting the motor city, there are a great number of attractions for you and your family to enjoy. The Belle Isle Aquarium is the perfect destination to take in some exotic marine life within one of Detroit’s most historical buildings. A volunteer group runs the facility and hosts over 150 different types of sea creatures.
Aquariums near Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids has an incredible zoo that also features a small aquarium facility. It won’t blow your socks off, but it’s worth checking out if you plan on visiting the zoo.
Aquariums Near Auburn Hills
Stop by Michigan Sea Life Aquarium in Auburn Hills for a truly magical experience. The facility hosts a huge selection of sea creatures including sharks which can be viewed in underwater tunnels. Your kids can touch eels while learning about the importance of preserving marine life.
Aquariums are the perfect way to spend a day. Often overlooked or forgotten about when vacationing, Michigan wants you to enjoy everything the state has to offer including it’s amazing marine attractions.