Staying hydrated is a must for any traveler. And when you’re going to a remote destination, it could be challenging to find safe, drinking water. So, the best and most eco-friendly solution is to bring your own lightweight, leak proof travel water bottle.
There’s no need to buy a plastic bottle every time you feel thirsty. Once you get in the habit of using your own refillable water bottle, you’ll save money and feel better about saving the planet. It’s multi-use too. You can also bring an empty one, so when you see a juice stand, you can just use your container instead of a disposable plastic cup.
Best Lightweight, Leak Proof Travel Water Bottles
We’re going to explore a variety of water bottles from insulated stainless steel bottles to BPA-friendly ones with infuser baskets. Because these high-quality bottles can store cold temperatures for longer hours, also bring natural flavored water for a healthier, tastier drinking alternative. Some of the key highlights to watch out for are leak proof, lightweight and insulated. Are you hiking or camping, perhaps you need a filter.
Leisurely Lifestyle is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Here are the top water bottles for travel, in no particular order:
Thermos Intak Hydration Bottle With Meter
Thermos has been a staple brand when it comes to food and water storage. For over 110 years, Thermos has pioneered the innovation for how people eat and drink while on the go.
It has an open-mouth design, so it’s easy to clean after use. Its one-click opening feature is also convenient when you’re on the go. To keep it clean throughout the day, you can just put the lid as conveniently as you opened it. The cover also has a metal clasp to prevent spillage.
As a bonus, the bottle also has measurement lines that tell you how much water is left in the bottle. This is especially helpful for hikers who are trying to preserve their water throughout their routes.
- Brand: Thermos
- Model: Intak 24 Ounce Hydration Bottle with Meter
- Size: holds 24 ounces; weighs 6.4 ounces (unfilled)
- Colors: 7
- Daily intake monitor meter
- Spill-free lock and dishwasher-safe
- The bottle’s ergonomic hand-held design is suitable for holding it upright. But since it’s not cylindrical, it won’t fit in most bottle holders.
- This doesn’t have an insulation feature.
MIRA 25 Oz Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Water Bottle
Now, if insulation is a priority for you, the MIRA Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Water Bottle is a top pick for many travelers. When you’re on the run, or you’re moving, its small opening helps you get hydrated without the hassle of having your beverage spilling out because of the movement.
- Brand: MIRA
- Model: 25 Oz Stainless Steel Water Bottle
- Size: holds 25 ounces; weighs 16 ounces (unfilled)
- Colors: 26
- It has a cylindrical shape, so it will fit most bottle holders
- BPA-free, leak and rust-proof
- Made of high-grade 18/8 stainless steel, so it doesn’t retain beverage flavors after use
- It comes in a wide variety of colors and gradient designs
- Since it has a perfectly cylindrical shape, it’s n ot grip-friendly
- Its small-mouth design makes it hard to wash
- Can’t put large ice because of the small opening
- Hot beverage transfer could be a challenge because of the small-mouth
Klean Kanteen Classic 40 oz
This company is a newcomer in the water bottle industry, but they’re bringing a refreshing take on beverage storage. Klean Kanteen is a family-owned business on a mission to create a more sustainable water bottle alternative in the market. Even though they just started in 2004, they’re already a certified B Corporation, guaranteeing the high quality of their product line.
All their bottles undergo the Klean Coat™ standard, a new measurement for sustainable durability and safety. This means your travel bottle is four times more durable and is created using the most environment-friendly products.
When it comes to insulation, the Klean Kanteen Classic 40 oz. has the Climate Lock™ Vacuum Insulation that helps you keep your hot and cold drinks for longer hours. Cold drinks can stay cold for up to an impressive hundred hours! For hot drinks, they can stay warm for up to 30 hours!
- Brand: Klean Kanteen
- Model: Classic Stainless Steel Water Bottle with Klean Coat, Single Wall and Leak Proof Loop Cap
- Size: holds 40 ounces
- Colors: 4
- The brand empowers ultimate sustainability from the production line to end-user consumption.
- Built-to-last and use patented insulation technology.
- The caps are replaceable. You can buy different cup designs based on your preference (sports, steel, kid’s sippy cap, bamboo)
- Small-mouth design
- Pricier than its alternatives
GRAYL Ultralight Water Purifier Bottle
For hikers and mountaineers, it’s crucial to have access to clean water when you’re on a longer route. With GRAYL Ultralight Water Purifier Bottle, you can utilize river or stream water and turn it into drinkable water.
GRAYL was a Kickstarter project, and because of the significant demand from adventurers, it was a success. This bottle reigns in two factors: effectiveness and convenience.
Now, the GRAYL Ultralight has been considered a must-have bottle if you’re exploring the outdoors. It saves you from that weight of bringing multiple water bottles for your exploration, and it’s highly effective in filtering out water.
It has a unique filtering system wherein you collect the water first, then the filter is submerged in the water, and the process starts from thereon out. Within 15 seconds, you can drink stream water safely. For the ultimate outdoor water filtration bottle, GRAYL is considered the best in class.
- Brand: GRAYL
- Model: Ultralight Water Purifier [+ Filter] Bottle
- Size: holds 16 ounces; weighs 3.52 ounces (unfilled)
- Colors: 4
- Rubber bottom sole that helps stabilize the bottle during filtration
- Easy to use and leak-proof
- Uses ion exchange technology
- Pricier than others
- Weighs 10.9 oz., heavier than other water bottles
SIGG Thermo Flask Hot & Cold Glass
SIGG Thermo Flask Hot & Cold Glass is designed and engineered by a team in Switzerland to serve the growing demand for a flexible travel bottle. Known as “The Original”, SIGG has been making water bottles since 1908. Interestingly, it’s one of the few glass travel bottles that can provide a relatively okay insulation for cold and hot drinks.
Aside from its impressive design, the SIGG Thermo Flask Hot & Cold also has a removable 2-type tea filter you can place on top of the flask for proper tea-brewing on the go. You can use the high filter for loose tea, and the short filter for whole tea leaves or lemon slices.
- Brand: SIGG
- Model: Thermo Flask Hot & Cold
- Size: holds 0.5L; weighs 11.7 ounces
- Colors: Multi
- Wide mouth opening that’s perfect for adding ice
- The silicone grip helps you grab the entire bottle without slipping
- It’s made from BPA-free materials
- Stores hot beverage for only 1 hour and a cold drink for only 2 hours
Nomader Collapsible Water Bottle
This last one is an excellent option for those who would like to reduce the size of their bottle after consuming the drink. Whether you’re going for a run, or hiking a long terrain, the Nomader Collapsible Water Bottle is so easy to use. The company has made sure the engineering of the product would fit the needs for flexibility and portability.
It also has a handle that’s used for either storing it in your bag or enclosing the whole contraption when not in use. The Nomader brand specializes in eco-friendly collapsable water bottles and this one comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Brand: Nomader
- Model: Collapsible Water Bottle
- Size: holds 25 ounces (volume markings say 22); weighs 7.2 ounces
- Colors: 8
- Superior when it comes to portability
- Features a hygienic spout to keep the germs out
- Removable wide mouth lid for easy cleaning
- Freezable and heat-resistant
- Does not store hot and cold beverages for longer hours
- It can’t be compressed into a flat format